Reggie wears blue Plankton – Season 3, Episode 1 #ReggiesSweaters

Another appliqué piece, I call this one “Blue Plankton” because it looks a lot like Plankton from SpongeBob SquarePants, and I’m not sure what else to call it.

2 (2)

planktonFabric/supplies used:

  • Astral Kona Cotton Solids, 15″ square
  • Cocoa Kona Cotton Solids (eyebrows), matching thread
  • Lemon Kona Cotton Solids (sclera, or “white” part of the eye), matching thread
  • Lime Kona Cotton Solids (lower eyelids), matching thread
  • Flame Kona Cotton Solids (pupils), matching thread
  • Black Kona Cotton Solids (mouth), matching thread
  • White Kona Cotton Solids (teeth), matching thread
  • 15″ square kraft paper
  • Heat & Bond, the kind you can sew over
  • Spray starch

IMG_0425 (2)
Timing:

~3 hours

Difficulty:

Medium

Steps:

  1. Start by starching the blue square to help it keep it’s shape.
  2. I sketched out the face onto the kraft paper to make a template, then cut out the interior pieces (teeth, pupils) and traced these onto the blue fabric using a chalk pencil.
  3. I put Heat & bond on the back of the red and white fabrics, then used the template to trace the appropriate pieces onto each, then cut them out.
  4. I cut out the mouth and sclera from the template, then repositioned and traced these shapes onto the blue fabric using chalk pencil.
  5. I put Heat & Bond on the back of the yellow and black fabric, then used the template to trace the appropriate pieces onto each, then cut them out.
  6. I cut out the rest of the eye and the eyebrows from the paper template, then repositioned and traced these shapes onto the blue fabric using chalk pencil.
  7. I put heat & bond on the back of the lime and brown fabric, then used the template to trace out the appropriate pieces onto each, then cut them out.
  8. I assembled the eyes and mouth:
    1. Eye: I used the heat & bond to attach the red to the yellow, then once it cooled, I trimmed any parts where the two didn’t line up across the border. Then I attached the red-yellow to the lime, and trimmed the yellow or lime whereever the two didn’t line up.
    2. Mouth: I used the heat & bond to attach the white to the black, then once it cooled, I trimmed any parts where the two didn’t line up.
  9. Then I used the heat & bond to attach all the pieces to the blue fabric.
  10. Once it cooled, I used a wide but close zig-zag stitch (on my Kenmore, about 2.5 wide and about 0.5 long) to reinforce the appliqué, using the corresponding thread colours for each piece.

IMG_4270 (2)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s